Monday, August 29, 2011

"Your Roving Reporter"

The catfish has arrived in San Francisco. It only took ten minutes to get through security. And a long 5 hour arduous flight-all 6'5" of me crammed in a space that was about the size of-dare I say it-a sardine can. Luckily, I was sitting next to a young man-of Asian extraction-who weighed a scant 100 lbs,. provided he was wet.

I do want to complain about one of the brusque flight attendants who repeatedly bumped my arm each time she made her way by. A deft soccer move by the aforementioned kicked my legs and carry on bag, which was protruding out into the aisle, back into position.

Sis picked me up at the airport, and we headed to Fisherman's Wharf. I love the ambiance there. Fresh crabs all over the place. Clam chowder sold in hollowed-out bread cups. Lobster. But mainly crabs. The crowds were huge btw.

And Alcatraz was in the distance. "Birdman of Alcatraz" with Burt Lancaster; most of the Dirty Harry movies; "The Rock;" and "Escape from Alcatraz" all came swimmingly into my brain. Me being a film buff and all that.

We ate at Allioto's. I had spaghetti/eggplant with crabmeat-what else, eh?-and Sis had some kind of seafood soup. Hard to believe but the soup contained a crab leg. The restaurant offered a view of the harbor and the Golden Gate bridge, but it was shrouded in fog.

Well, so far so good. Not sure if I'll leave my heart here, and I haven't seen Scott Mackenzie, or anyone with flowers in their hair, but it's late and this roving reporter is experiencing jet lag and time change issues-see the eastern time zone vs. the western time zone, so until the next installment. Over and out!

No comments: