Friday, August 05, 2011

August 20, 2009

I remember it well. Piedmont Park, Atlanta, Ga. It rained; I drank too many beers; I got there too early and waited 5 hours in the heat; I was amazed at all of the young people-who outnumbered, it seemed, people my age; I sang and reveled in the songs of my generation; and it was great period.

"Paul McCartney Concert"
Yeah, it was great. Lots of music-of course-and lots of pizazz.

Yeah, it rained for about 15 minutes water-logging my left shoe and soaking my shirt and pants.

Yeah, it was good to see my boyhood idol and listen to all the old songs. Even if he didn't sing "Maybe I'm Amazed." I guess that's what happens when love turns sour. And the ex-wife wants a ton of alimony.

Yeah, the concert was great. And the crowd was interesting, especially the women who were territorial when it came to their outstretched blankets. Don't step on them, cos you know-and I know-how anal women are.

I met two young couples, one who both worked for TCM.

"My favorite channel," I told them.

The husband was an accountant and his wife a publicist. I was impressed when she told me she worked with Robert Osborne, famed host of TCM. And being Mr. Trivia, I mentioned to them how Robert got his start on the "Lucy Show," not to be confused with "I Love Lucy."

They were more impressed with yours truly, when I just happened to let it out of the bag that I had seen the Fab 4 in person in 1965.

"Hey, he's seen the Beatles," the hubby said to everyone in ear shot of his voice. Because of this distinction, I became an instant crowd celebrity.

The crowd was young, too. Which impressed me. And they knew the words to most of the songs. Which really impressed me.

"Helter Skelter," which helped inspire Charles Manson to his dastardly deeds; "Yesterday;" "Drive My Car;" "I Saw Her Standing There;" and "Hey Jude" were just a few of the songs. "H.J." has to be the best sing-along song evah.

Yeah, it was great. Kinda like being at Woodstock, circa '69. Except for no sex-none that I saw-no Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin, and we all paid to get in. There was plenty of beer at 7 bucks a pop, and the smell of cannabis wafted through the old mucous membranes a time or two.

A splendid time was guaranteed for all, and my main man came through as usual. Can't wait til the next one.

No comments: