Saturday, August 27, 2011

"Mt. Shasta"

 

I will be headed west tomorrow. Going to California to see my l'il sister. She is five feet 4, and I am 6'5", so we must have had different dads. She has dark straight hair-even tho' in her later years, she is a blond-and I had blond curly hair as a babe in swaddling clothes which progressed to brown which has now progressed to gray.

She is liberal-very-and I lean towards conservatism. So maybe my dad was the milkman or postman or Dutch Oven bakery guy, who used to deliver sweet treats to our door in the mystical 50's. Or maybe it was vice versa. Maybe her dad was the Fuller Brush man or Officer Don from the now defunct Popeye Club, a great local tv show for youngsters back in the day of black and white movies, Dwight Eisenhower/John Kennedy, and Ozzie and Harriet.

I can still hear him say: "Hey, kids; it's the Popeye Club. And remembering how cool it would have been to play "ooey gooey."

Back to the trip. San Fran and Fisherman's Wharf and then the 5 hour drive to Mount Shasta. She told me to wear layers of clothing, as it could snow. But then it could be warm-see global warming-so bring shorts and t shirts.

Hopefully, I will get on the plane, as Hurricane Irene is causing havoc with air travel. And I'm not sure if I will be able to write my forays into the infantile while I'm gone. But, perhaps, I can send daily accounts of my journey via Golden Pond. Only the Shadow knows and he ain't saying.

Sis says Mt. Shasta is a magical mountain, so maybe I'll return with renewed vim and vigor.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Cat,
Sounds like a blast, looks beautiful, if you going to San Francisco be sure to put some flowers in your hair and say hi to Scott Mckenzie in the Haight. High times had by all. Cowboys on the tube, looks like another long year in the making, plastic face(Jerry Jones)as usual has the world by the cojones in a pre-game interview. Had a second interview with a multi-national corp. that does marketing, product demos and placement for those wonderful folks at Wallyworld, C-stores and assorted others. The job is hearding cats (associates) in a geopgraphical area the size of a medium state. 4 days a week traveling, herding 60-80 cats a week. Money is good, good bennies.
Beats sitting at home. Sounds kind of like a counselor-at-large. Have fun out west.

rock on luby's

vietnamcatfish said...

Thanks Rock, Sis always tells me to wear flowers in my hair when I come to S.F., so it's good synchronicity.
I never liked Jerry Jones and the Extenze coach. Maybe because I always bet on the Bills.
Here's hoping you get your job. Good pay and benefits are hard to come by. I saw where the wherehouse has a big sale for Labor Day. Buy 1 and get 1.
Tomorrow I am heading west, although not as a young man. What would Horace Greely think?

Rock on Luby's. Wonder what's on the Luanne special for tomorrow!