Tuesday, January 03, 2012

"Vanilla Fudge" and "Sheeyet Far!"

My Picasa, which allows me to post pix, is going awry. My  posting mechanism is screwed up too. I just finished writing something for the blog, and it disappeared. Without saving.it.

"Sheeyet Far." Credited to a female character in Lewis Grizzards' "My Daddy was a Pistol, and I'm a Son-of-a-Gun." One of my favorite books but that's another story.

My story that disappeared into the nether regions of space dealt with the Vanilla Fudge, who I saw in concert in the late 60's. ( Guess it should read "whom I saw" but that's a bit prissy, eh? )

Bands in those days had names like the "Strawberry Alarm Clock";  "Canned Heat"; and the "Electric Prunes." 

What a shock to my parents' generation who grew up listening to Sinatra, Lombardo and Bing Crosby. The World War II Generation had songs with intelligible words and love ballads with romantic themes. "How Much is that Doggie in the Window" and "Que Sera Sera" were replaced with "Goddamn the Pusher Man"; "I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night"; and "Eight Miles High."


The Fudge looked like young preppie adults on their first album cover, but by the time I saw them, they had progressed to hippie status full-blown.

"Love and Marriage" had been replaced with "Hey, Joe where you going with that gun in your hand!"





No comments: