Wednesday, January 04, 2012

"My Daddy Was a Pistol; And I'm a Son-of-a-Gun"

Posted by Picasa
One of my favorite books. I connected with it on many levels, as they say these days.

Lewis was born in 1945 and grew up in Moreland, Ga., which is just 20 or so miles from here. Rural small town Georgia. I grew up in the heart of Atlanta, but the stories he recounts are similar to mine. 

Lewis' dad was an alcoholic and could never "get himself straightened out." My dad was no alcoholic to my knowledge, and left the North Forty when I was young, similar to Lewis' dad. Lewis' dad was a Captain in the army and was a prisoner of war in Korea. He also served in World War II. My dad was in charge of the spuds on a ship of some sort during WWII. Not sure if he graduated above Seaman. Or saw combat.

His parents divorced. Mine divorced. Both remarried. We both resented our stepdads. Lewis' father died at an early age. ( 56 ) My dad lived to be just shy of 80.

I love this book. I appreciate the humor. The wonderful stories of growing up.

Like the first time Lewis "lit up" in front of his dad: "Dad, I smoke." The two of them were en route to the hospital to see Lewis' wife, who was suffering with gastritis. 

"Well, son, if you're old enough to be married, I guess you're old enough to smoke."

No comments: