Thursday, October 07, 2004

There Is Space In My Heart Tonite

I really enjoyed writing on the PIC Yahoo. But it is a dying institution now. Even my buddy, the enigmatic barbecue man, has bid adieu and hasn't penned a reply in ages. So you know its bad. When it was going strong, I would "feed-off" the various posters/responses and "fire-back" a reply. But with little or no engagement, it is now time to turn out the lights, cos the party's over. ( apologies to Willie Nelson and Dandy Don Meredith )

But unlike hootsbuddy, my synchronistic friend and once-fellow peer, I have space in my heart tonite. It's October and that means playoff baseball And this year there are some intriguing match-ups. The Yankees vs. the Twins; the Braves vs. the Astros; the Bosox vs. the Angels; and the Cardinals vs. the Dodgers.

The Boston Red Sox haven't won a World Series since 1919, the longest streak in history. Most claim it's because the Bosox sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees for a staggering-at the time-$100,000. Affectionately known as "The Curse of the Bambino."
Ironically, the Babe began his career as a pitcher, but due to his hitting prowess, was moved to the outfield. He was quite the pitcher and held records in post-season play for years.

The Yankees have the largest payroll in the big leagues. A cool $180 million. And with the biggest radio/tv deal, they can afford to buy anyone's services. And they do.

The Astros have the "Rocket Man," apologies to Elton John, and a future Hall of Famer.

The Twins, who moved from Washington D.C., back in the day, have tied the Yankees at 1 game apiece. So anything goes!

The Dodgers bleed dodger blue and haven't been in contention for years ( see Tommy Lasorda ) and up to now, are getting hammered by the St.Louis Cards, who have, arguably, the most potent lineup of any of the teams.

And the Atlanta Braves are back in the playoffs for the 13th year in a row. Talk about consistency. And what a level of achievement. The Bravos had to cut costs this year and quickly eradicated high-profile and high-paid cast members. Greg Maddox, Javy Lopez, and Gary Sheffield to name a few. But this team seems different from the past editions. They seem hungry and determined.

Those are the teams. And only one can walk away with the grand salami. Who will win?
It's a tough call. But here's my prediction. Braves vs. Red Sox in the World Series.
With the Braves narrowly squeaking by. Sure, the Braves have sputtered since winning in '96, but this may be their year.

And tho there's space in my heart tonite, there's an empty space in my bed. But not for long. Cos we will submit this foray into baseball prognostication and fill the aforementioned void.

Sleepy, so sleepy....

Farewell and adieu, v.c.

P.S. Due to the lateness of the hour, there will be limited postscripts tonite.

P.S.S. Hopefully, hoots will find space in his heart and resume his blogging tomorrow.

3 comments:

Snave said...

I have to say I feel the Cardinals are this year's team of destiny. I think the Red Sox are also looking awfully tough. If those two teams square off in the World Series, I would have to go with the Cards... acquiring Larry Walker after the trading deadline, and being able to use as a number-two hitter in the lineup? Amazing... ! Anyway, for my dear friend and Cards fan Martin in Iowa: Go Cardinals!!!

Hoots said...

Thank you, Snave, for having something to add to this discussion. It makes me think that a new online community may be in the making. My ignorance of matters sporting is only exceded by my lack of interest altogether, so it relieves me when somebody else can say something appropriate.
Card games affect me in the same way. I find them a monotonous waste of time, so whenever someone else (like my wife) is willing to play cards with someone, I feel relieved of the responsibility.
These two voids, sports and card games, are something of a character disorder in me. But like not smoking any more I think I have saved a lot of empty time by what I have missed.
Carry on, ya'll.

Hoots said...

Thank you, Snave, for having something to add to this discussion. It makes me think that a new online community may be in the making. My ignorance of matters sporting is only exceded by my lack of interest altogether, so it relieves me when somebody else can say something appropriate.
Card games affect me in the same way. I find them a monotonous waste of time, so whenever someone else (like my wife) is willing to play cards with someone, I feel relieved of the responsibility.
These two voids, sports and card games, are something of a character disorder in me. But like not smoking any more I think I have saved a lot of empty time by what I have missed.
Carry on, ya'll.