Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Tooling Home

The rain was coming down pretty hard tonite, as I made my way from my employment venue to the Pond. It was a cozy ride, cos I like the rain. And I like the cold weather. Fire up the c.d. playa and it's a magical mystery tour revisited.

The weather has been crazy lately. Cold for a few days and then a return to normal. Semi-warm days with cool nites. But in the back of my mind, there's always that nagging feeling that the world as we know it is going to hades, with the imminent threat of global warming on the horizon.

But back to the playa. The c.d. that slipped into the slot was one of my creations via Napster- damn the computer viruses, full speed ahead.-which resulted in a cornucopia of songs, stolen, er borrowed from the hit machine.

It was an old recording made a few months ago with songs from "The Steve Miller Band," "The Beachboys," "The Police," just to name a few. You can normally squeeze 17-18 songs on each one. I also had "Sara" by "Fleetwood Mac," and "Woman In Love" by Babs Streisand.

Damn, Babs can really belt out a tune. What a voice. And what range. And can she hold a note? Yes, she can. When it came to the:

"I stumble and fall
But I give it my all....." And holds the note for at least 30 seconds. Incredible.

Yes, I shouldn't be exposing my taste for a woman's anthem, allah Helen Reddy, but it isn't the message necessarily; it's the music and the voice.

Speaking of cornucopia, I enjoy most music. From Rick James to Guns 'N Roses to the Stones to country to blues to Sly and the Family Stone to the latest craze, allah the Macarena from a few years ago. It's all good in my opinion.

But back to Babs. You may not share her political views but the girl can sing.

But it's late. After dealing with passive-aggressive types all day and a long trip home-enjoyable only for the weatha and playa- it's time for bed.

Farewell and adieu, v.c.

P.S. Just two more days til Christmas. At H.W. that means two more days of fun.




2 comments:

Snave said...

Aren't great tunes in the car wonderful?

If you like great female vocals, you might enjoy Margo Timmins of the Cowboy Junkies. Whew! She's beautiful, but all she needs to do to get my adrenalin going is to start singing!

vietnamcatfish said...

I will check her out. The weather here is getting frightful, but inside the car with a c.d. playa it's so delightful.

Merry, er, Happy Holidays, v.c.

P.S. Btw, my brother-in-law once lived in Seattle. He loved it. An outdoorsy type who loves to fish and hunt- with a bow.