Thursday, November 08, 2007

"Rooms For Rent 50 Cents" or "Old As Dirt"

I lived in pre-historic times when cigarettes were $.25 a pack; movie theatres charged $.50 to view the flick; cokes were a nickel; and bubble gum was a penny a piece. And gasoline hovered around a quarter. One ex patron of mine used to brag about gasoline wars at the pump-he said his station went as low as $.19 a gallon in order to beat the guy down the street.

When I saw the Fab 4 in 1965 the tickets were $4.50. Hard to believe these days when a latte at Starbucks costs around 5 bucks. And gas is creeping up to $3.00 a gallon.
I could fill up my "bug" for around $2.50. And at 25 miles to the gallon, I could go to L.A. [ lower Alabama ] and back.

As one pundit once exclaimed: "Who'd a thunk it?"

Here's a clip from yesteryear. I watched this comedian's show when I was a youngster. And loved it.




P.S. I'm so old that I remember when bottle cokes went from 5 cents to 6 cents. Didn't last long as they soon went to a dime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen this foray?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY8Mik06kvE

pictru