Monday, November 05, 2007

"Let's Hear It for the Food Biz"

I worked at my last job during the months of March to June 07. My head was obviously in a bad place, as I peruse these forays from that time period. I had not been an assistant manager for over 30 years, so it took some time getting used to being barked at as opposed to doing the barking. I didn't mind that part as much as I resented the attitude of the mgmt. staff which acted as if I had never been in the biz. Plus, they said I was too laid back. Hell, I was learning a new system, a new menu, etc. I had never done "eggs" before. And we served them by the dozens. Here are some of the excerpts from my brief sojourn as an asst. mgr. with a well-known company, most of which are jest off'n the interstate:

I hate the food business. Maybe that's too harsh. I loathe and despise the food biz. Wait a minute. That's even more harsh. I dislike the food biz.

Every now and then yours truly likes to reflect, if you will. And tonite's the night for refelecting.

I think I've had enough of this freakin' job. I see no future, unless you classify working 60-70 hours a week; every weekend; every holiday; every night; a good gig.
Me? I've had enough of the rat race. I would like to sit back and truly watch the wheels go 'round and 'round.

The food biz sux. And it's for suckers who want to give their lives up. The g.m. at my store is a living, breathing example of such servitude. He gets his willies off by increasing sales and being the big man on campus. And what kind of life has it afforded him? He just worked 3 weeks in a row without a day off. And he was whining and moaning-albeit proudly-how tired he was for his dedication

And strategies for running a business make me want to hurl. A big rock onto someone's noggin. You never have have enough help. Why? Because some bean counters devised a plan that does not work as far as growing your business. But will work for making your labor goals while working the shit out of you and the, er, team members.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. Have a great nite!


It was funny today. My new company uses Piggly Wiggly white vinegar for something. Not sure what. Mebbe it's for the guests who want it on their salads or greens. Who knows? But there it was. P.W. white vinegar. My old d.m. would have had a hissy:

"V.C. Mr. Hamilton [ founder of the cafeteria chain ] put a lot of thought and love into our recipes. Don't bastardize what he did, son. Now throw that shit away and get me some Heinz in here with a quickness."

He also told me how he once saved one of the cook's life. One afternoon she fell into the deep fat fryer. Quick-witted, my d.m. pulled her out of harm's way. He ripped off her clothes and threw her into the ice bin until the 911 guys got there.



It was another grueling week in the food biz. Standing on your feet all day and getting dirty from the flour for the biscuits and the dumplins'. Flour all over your shoes and pants. And then there were the usual problems. Billy Bob, the backup cook, was feeling lousy-he had been throwing up all day-and had to make a hasty retreat when yours truly came on borde.

I stepped up to the plate and ran his shift through the Easter breakfast and Easter afternoon. The recipes are easy-much easier than the ones at a semi-well known cafeteria chain. My new company claims it makes its food from scratch, but it ain't really. Let's just say semi-scratch.

My new work environs are laced with managers who all hail from other food biz locations. Applebee's for one; Krystal Hamburgers for another. The latter mgr. is 52 years old, and the other day hollered at me saying "don't worry about the food cost; you can't overserve the okra, fill 'er up!"

I guess I was moving too slow but I was grappling with the okra which was under a heat lamp. A few minutes later he admonished me by saying: "that's too much corn [ in the serving spoon ] shake some off."

I'm not exactly a rookie when it comes to serving the two aforementioned veggies, and I know, without equivocation, I have served more corn and okra to my guests than "Carter has liver pills." And more of the two than Tommy has sold those little squared burgers.

I really resented these intrusions, but because I haven't been too lucky in the employment arena lately, I let it slide. But I didn't like his vocal intonations. I harken back to employees ( team members ) who routinely said of mgrs: "he/she don't know how to talk to people."


P.S. Carry that weight, eh?

2 comments:

Hoots said...

Check this out.
I can't hear this music without remembering...

Anonymous said...

Dear Cat,

Great choice of music. I was talking to a friend the other day that has become quite successful in the insurance business. He makes alot more mola then he did with Luby's. I asked him to consider something. That he would not be where he is without Luby's and that experience. Same goes for me. I do not make near the money I did with Luby's but I have found out I am a better counselor probably than cafeteria manager. I do feel for you. I know you do not want sympathy, but I know you are a better man than I, I could not ever go back to the food business. I know that survival sometimes dictates doing things we might not normally do. Still, after all that has happened to you, I admire the fact that you can still look at life and find something to laugh about. I have you bookmarked and I always look towards the golden pond daily for some humor. Hang in there. Rock on luby's

rockhead222@sbcglobal.net