Monday, November 12, 2007

"Veterans Day"

They coined a phrase about me: "a day late and a dollar short." I didn't even know it was Veteran's Day today, until I heard it on the radio.

I was classified 1-A back in 1974 and had even gone to take my physical. There were rumors circulating that the draft would soon go the way of 8 track tape players. The rumors turned out to be true, so I was never called to serve in the military.

Instead, I began my illustrious career with Piccadilly Cafeteria. As a Manager Trainee while pulling down a whopping $4.00 an hour. I soon became the Associate Manager and was deemed worthy of a $.50 an hour raise. At $4.50 an hour I thought I was in the dough-in more ways than one. [ see Piccadilly Cafeteria made from scratch ]

I found out later the other Associate Managers were grossing $5.25 an hour. But I was young and had my sights set on the Manager's job. Not sure what the g.m. was making back then. Probably $9-10 an hour. And he also qualified for an MBO bonus. [ management by objective ]

I worked hard. We were only supposed to work a 40 hr. week, but because I was the Associate, I worked about 45 hrs. I topped out around $5.50 an hour. Or maybe I made $7.50. Hell, I can't remember-oldtimers you know.

I became the g.m. in '79. And made about 20 grand a year. We soon went to a system where the company gave you 8% of the controllable profit. And not soon afterwards, they moved it up a half per cent to 8.5.

We were a well-paid bunch back in those days-way above the average. I remember making more than the minimum salary of a 1st year Major League ball player. Those days are gone as they now make over $400,000 a year.

But, yes, it was '74. The draft disappeared, and I began-in earnest-a career in the wonderful world of food bizdom.

A day late and a $ short, v.c.


P.S. Oh, I'm on my way-I know I am. Somewhere not so far from here....

1 comment:

Hoots said...

When I hear Cat Stevens "Harold and Maude" comes washing back in my memory. I must have seen it four or five times. Maybe more. Great cult classic. (And now I find myself employed in a retirement community where the median age is well past eighty. Any connection??? Nah...surely not...but we do have a few Ruth Gordon types.)