Friday, November 30, 2007

"Child of the 60's"

It's good to see the Hootster back at work. I know the old boy was in deep withdrawal not being able to write his infanous "H.P." He is a child of the 60's you know. He is also a bit "longer in the tooth" than me as the old saying goes.

I remember the 60's. I remember being in the dorm lobby at Pain, er, Payne Hall while at Truck U. and seeing a California transplant rummaging in the ashtray urn looking for smokable butts. Pimply and red-headed he was a free spirit and a child of the decade.

I remember a compadre I met there whose name was John Davis, but who we called "Skuzzy." I remember his wiping his butt on the washing machine at Payne and encouraging any of us to smell his production. Thanks, but no thanks.

I remember David from Sparta who was a match for me in baseball trivia.

I remember our dorm resident assistant shaking his head as Trent went sliding by his room after we had had a water fight.

I remember Steve Woodford who was seriously contemplating burning down the military building [ ROTC ] on campus.

I remember "Bear" who was a big joker with a beard. We were all envious because we couldn't grow one. He liked playing volleyball allah yours truly.

I remember my second roommate Rick, who turned me onto hashish, and whose old lady whose name was Margaret.

There were a lot of interesting people in the dorms. And there was music. At one time I hated "Take Another Little Piece of my Heart" by Janis Joplin, because some guy left the single on the turntable and it played at least one hundred times.

I remember going to see "Steppenwolf," "Chicago," and others while matriculating at Truck U.

I was sort of a child of the 60's. And as John Lennon once remarked after recording "Double Fantasy:" "the seventies were a drag."

Child of the 60's, v.c.

P.S. Tonite's tune is by a band who has never been on Golden Pond. They are still revered today.


P.S.S. Welcome baker Kotter, er, Hootster.

P.S.S.S. Later, The Doors appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, a popular Sunday night variety series that had introduced The Beatles and a young, wriggling Elvis Presley to the nation. Ed Sullivan requested two songs from The Doors for the show, People are Strange, and Light My Fire. The censors insisted that they change the lyrics of "Light My Fire" from "Girl we couldn't get much higher" to "Girl we couldn't get much better." This was reportedly due to what could be perceived as a reference to drugs in the original lyric. During the rehearsal, Jim changed the lyrics to be in compliance with host Ed Sullivan. Morrison then proceeded to sing the song with the original lyrics on live TV. He later said that he had simply forgotten to make the change, which Manzarek corroborates to the present day. This infuriated Sullivan so much that he refused to shake their hands after their performance. They were never invited back.[7]The producer of the show reportedly screamed at the monitors as Morrison sung the lyric, that The Doors would never do the Ed Sullivan show ever again. Jim came back to that comment by stating "Hey, we just did the Ed Sullivan show."

1 comment:

Hoots said...

Thanks, boss. I'm off from work til Friday, planning to chill. Coming up on five years at the post retirement gig.
Can you say "job lock"?
Sixteen months til Medicare.
Had a veggie plate and one wing at a Piccadilly for lunch. Add two bucks for a praline and a dollar tip and it came to eight dollars.
Sheesh! No wonder sales are in the tank. Do I sound like a geezer yet?