Friday, August 03, 2007

"Lucy, What Happened?"

I have always been a big baseball fan. Since I was nine years old. I recall what a thrill it was seeing Willie Mays playing center field for the S.F. Giants back in '66. The team also included Willie McCovey and Juan Marichal. And getting to see Sandy Koufax undone by Eddie Matthews, whose ninth inning home run beat the Dodgers 2-1 in dramatic fashion.

I remember seeing the "Big Red Machine" with Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, and Sparky Anderson. And rooting against the Yankees of the late 70's, who had Ron Guidry, Reggie Jackson, and Thurman Munson.

I remember Goose Gossage; Rollie Fingers; the "Mad Hungarian," Al Hrabosky; Bruce Sutter; and George Brett.

In the 80's I cheered for the Braves. Bob Horner, Dale Murphy, Knucksie, et al. But from '85 to '90, the team sucked.

In the 90's the Braves went from worst to first and ignited the city. With the likes of Sid Bream, Terry Pendleton, John Smoltz, et al.

In the early part of the 2000's I cheered some more. For the likes of Chipper Jones, Gary Sheffield, Kevin Millwood, et al.

Tonight I tuned in to watch the Braves vs. the Colorado Rockies. 2007 edition. I'm thinking! Where's Larry Walker, Vinny Castilla, and Daryl Kile? I don't think I had ever heard of anybody on the team.

What's gonna happen when Greg Maddux, Barry Bonds, John Smoltz, and Julio Franco finally retire. I ain't gonna know nobody. Somewhere along the line I was left out of the loop.

In summary: Lucy, what happened?

P.S. Ah, memories. Biff Poccaroba, Rod Gilbreath, Buzz Capra, Ernie Johnson, Milo Hamilton and....Larry Munson, the first Braves announcer along with Milo.

No comments: