Tuesday, November 08, 2005

"From the Archives"

Me buddy, friend and confidante, the enigmatic islander by way of Boca Raton, has pointed out to yours truly on numerous occasions that I should write more engaging posts, allah yesterday, forsaking the pictures and getting into the meat and potatoes of writerdom.

Brusque was I when he suggested he liked the old "Golden Pond." Piqued by curiosity, I looked back at the beginnings of my blog and found this story, which imho, wasn't half-bad. So for those who missed it and are too lazy to peruse the archives, here it be: circa September 2004 entitled "Penny the Poo."

Penny the Poo


Well, we've been busy on the pond, Golden Pond, ( soon to be in syndication, so consult your local listings ) that is. Batoning down the hatches, preparing for the storm.

I had time to teach Penny the Poo <> some more tricks today. She is so smart.

me: "Penny, what's on top of our house?"

Penny: "Woof. Er, Woof."

me: "Good girl, Penny. Now, how does sandpaper feel to the touch?"

Penny: "Ruff. Er, Ruff."

See what I mean!

me: "Penny, what substance is found on the outside of a tree?"

Penny: "Bark. Er, Bark."After the training, me, Charlie Jr., and Penny went to Blockbuster. To rent some movies. But most of the movies were about psychopaths and cereal, er, serial killers. Ain't the world depressing enough w/o probing the dark side of the force?

So, I settled for Starsky and Hutch and Lawrence of Arabia, the old David Lean classic never before seen by these eyes. And Charlie Jr. checked out Dawn of the Dead and Pulp Fiction, the director's cut. And Penny wanted Messy Room, a cult favorite from the Beranstain Bears, and Atlassie, Come Home.

Btw, Lassie just celebrated her 50th anniversary on television. Remember the sad theme song at the end of the show. And how Lassie always saved Timmy from the elements. They don't make 'em like they used to.

The BB attendant claimed we were in arrears on our account and would we like to pay now or next time? "Duh?" was my reply. And Penny said woof when I asked her what was on top of the BB building. The attendant appeared non-plussed and unimpressed so we bade adieu, promising to square things on our next visit.

As we were driving home, a dilemma arose. Should this story be posted on the yahoo or should Golden Pond retain exclusive rights? Penny must have read my thoughts when she said ruff, knowing I was facing a tough choice.

And Charlie Jr. wanted to know my feelings on hoots new weblog.me: "I think it's a grand idea, Charlie. The hootster has always been the archivester. It's right up his alley. I look forward to the next installment."

Bout that time we pulled into the driveway. Up in one of the trees, two big eyes belonging to a feathered predator on the prowl were lying in wait for its prey.

me: "What's that, Penny? Up in the tree?"

Penny: "Grrrowl."

me: "Good girl. Atlassie, here we come."

Farewell and adieu, v.c.

P.S. Hoots, tell Anne Marie she is in error. There's two million and 3 bloggers who now write blogs. That's 2,000,003.

No comments: