Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"The Last Puff"

Well, who'd a thunk it? My freakin' computer is back up and running. It only took eleven days. The problem: the ethernet connection.

After visiting in India with Raoul, Abdul-Jabbar, and Frederico; after many calls to my Internet Provider; after many trips to the various computer stores; and after many trips to Comcast ( IP ) to swap out the modem-plus I forgot the cable connection and had to return; it was finally deduced by the CC technician that the ethernet connection was the villian.

Shiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A recap of the events in modified form:

1) Storm hits Golden Pond! Lightning and thunder right on top of us. Ka boooom!

2) The unplugging of the computer-alas, too late.

3) Can't connect-v.c. is sad.

4) A call to Comcast. Executive ( that's what they call 'em ) on the other end of the line says: "Seems to be working fine to me. Call HP."

5) HP answers very politely. I am impressed with their knowledge, courtesy, and sticktoitness.

6) HP sends me cd's to do a system recovery. ( two days )

7) I load the cd's after purchasing cd's to back-up old files. Because it'll be like "starting over." Apologies to John and Yoko.

8) All my old files are soon kaput, fini.' Still can't connect to internet.

9) A call back to HP. After an hour or so and exhaustive tests, Raoul says: "There's nothing wrong with your computer."

10) I change the modem. I call CC. "Yeah, the signal isn't good. Should I send a technician?"

11) "Yes, please." They show up [ arrive ] this morning; technician says he learned YESTERDAY that if you change the ethernet connection with an obgyn connection, it will work regardless.

12) The proof is in the pudding, cos I am not at the library. And am able to pound the keys in front of the computer.

13) My fingers are tired, and the proprietor is feeling kaput, fini.'

Ethernet, smethernet, v.c.

P.S. This video was just added to youtube.com. Enjoy!


http://youtube.com/watch?v=kiUh-x4M5HQ

No comments: