Sunday, July 01, 2007

"Exercise Regimen"



As chronicled in an earlier post this past week, the catfish, aka yours truly, has adopted a new fitness regimen. I am walking 2-3 miles a day. In the last 3 weeks, I have missed only one day. Not bad, eh? But I am outta shape something fierce. Once I left the airport ( involuntarily, I might add ) the old bones of mine atrophied. And getting 'em back up to prime time hasn't been easy.

Watching "Rocky Balboa" last night made me realize as we enter senior citizenshipdom, we best get our acts together.

In the latest Rocky foray, the Italian Stallion's trainer tells him: "Rock, he [ Mason, the Line, Dixon, the current heavyweight champion of the world ] is faster and quicker than you. Rocky, you got arthritis in your neck and calcium deposits in your joints. The only chance you got against him is brute force."

Another interesting aspect of the film is you never see Rocky's full physique, during the match, as he's getting up from his fight stool. There's always a "cutaway scene" as they say in the business. Believe me, this is not unintentional.

Even so, I loved the film. And Bill Conti has added a shrill horn sound during the famous song. Flying high now, eh? Too bad Ms. Coppola was not around as Adrian. She probably looks worse than poor old Sly, anyway.

Great flick; great inspiration. Never give up and keep trying. As they say in my neighborhood: "I heard that." Or "dat" depending on southside or eastside of the traffic light.

Flying somewhere between high and low, v.c.

P.S. It is a requirement today if you're reading this here foray to post a comment on whether or not you have seen "Rocky Balboa!"

P.S.S. Some more poetic license: Rocky is in his 50's according to the script. No mention of what specific age. I just googled Sly, and he will turn 61 July 6.

No comments: