Sunday, June 17, 2007

"Florist Rump"

I have decided how to LEAVE the food business, whilst affording myself a living. Via a novel. The Great American Novel. Can the boy do it? Yknot? And I have just the perfect idea. It hit me a week or so ago. The subject matter; the premise; the whole idea. It smacks of brilliance. And now it is up to me to put it all down on paper, er, on the screen.

Here is a snippet of my new novel, "Florist Rump."

Florist Rump and Dubya are two young fellas who have just joined the army. Wartime. [ As of this writing, the war has yet to be determined. ] And they're riding on a bus to boot camp. Both are a bit eccentric. And not easily liked by the other recruits. However, the two boys strike up a conversation:

Florist: My name's Florist. Florist Rump!

Dubya: My name's Dubya. Dubya Dubya. My folks couldn't think of nothing else to name me, so they gave me the same name twice.

Florist: I'm a'gonna fight in this here war. ( undetermined )

Dubya: My family's in the restaurant hamburger business. They sell only hamburgers.

Florist: Really?

Dubya: You know there's a million ways to make a burger. There's cheeseburgers; bleu cheese burgers; lettuce, tomato burgers; burgers with mayonnaise; burgers with mustard; ketchup burgers; bacon burgers; swiss burgers; cheddar burgers; bacon cheddar burgers; burgers with pickles.

Florist: Burgers with no pickles?

Dubya: Lea and Perrin burgers; Dijon burgers; burgers with onions; Heinz 57 burgers; A-1; vegetable burgers; and plain burgers.

Florist: Po-Boy burgers?

Dubya: In Louisiana, they even got crawfish and etouffee burgers.

Florist: If we ever get out of this here war [ as yet undetermined] do you think I, Florist Rump, could become a partner with your family.

Dubya: Sure, Florist. Yam burgers; mash potato burgers....

Bus Driver: Next stop: Parris Island!

Florist/Dubya: Semper Fi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!

Well, that's just a snippet of brilliance. Semper Fi, v.c.

P.S.

No comments: