Friday, March 07, 2008

"Magnolia"

That was some bizarre movie I watched last night. Kept me up until the wee hours of the morning it did. The damn thing lasted a little over 3 hrs. All star cast. Tom Cruise; and the others-not my area of knowledge ( late 90's )-and I don't want to "google" it to find out.

The review ( vast wasteland ) claimed it was Altmanesque, and I guess it was. He of "Mash" and "Nashville" fame among others. I remember seeing the former "bitd" and thought it was great. Had never seen anything like it. "Spearchucker" Jones et al. Smoking marijuana on the bench et al.

And "Nashville" is a great movie. Seeing is believing. Altmanesque, eh?

"Magnolia" is good, too. Dsyfunctional denizens of the world is its theme. And Tom Cruise won an Academy Award as Best Supporting Actor. He played a svengali whose message was simple: get the bush. And he didn't beat around the bush extolling the message. He didn't mince words, either. Quite a role departure for Mr. Cruise.

The raining-down of frogs on L.A.-not lower Alabama-was a bizarre ending and was well, er, Altmanesque.

The beginning theme song was "one" I hadn't heard in years. My liberal sister had a fancy for it, as well, many moons ago. The song is not from the originators, but some 90's chick, so, of course, I don't have a clue as to who sang it. ( once again, the late 90's is not included in my expertise. )

Good movie if you have 3 hours of your precious life to kill.

The clock on the proverbial wall says it's time to go bye-bye, v.c., so I will bid farewell and adieu to another day. Apology to Paul Mac.

One is the loneliest # indeed, v.c.




p.s. Watching the montage I do remember Jason Robards and Melinda Dillon, but I can't recall Ricky Bobbitt's friend's name, nor the geeky guy who is a good actor and who starred in "Jurassic Park 3." With Tea Leoni, who is a good-looking woman. She stars in one of me favorite flicks, "Family Man" with Nicolas Coppola, er, Cage. Nor the name of the actor who won an A.A. for his portrayal of "Capote."

No comments: