Sunday, March 16, 2008

"Mystery Guest: Sign in, Please!"

As a young tyke, I liked game shows. To this day, I like 'em.

"What's My Line" aired every night on Sundays at 10:30 p.m. "Candid Camera" preceded it at 10:00 with the affable Allen Funt and Durwood Kirby. Not many people are named Durwood these days. And rightfully so. Who in his right mind would want that as a name?

As a youngster I had school on Monday mornings, of course, so it was important for me to get my 8 hours of sleep. So I would test my mother's limits by trying to stay up and watch these two shows. Most of the time she would let me, but every now and then she would use her authority and make me go to sleep.

The show was educational. I learned the word "edible" at an early age. Seems Ms. Kilgallen, one of the regular panelists, liked to throw that word around. I thought she was kinda stuffy for using that word instead of eatable. What did I know?

Seems Ms. Kilgallen was also linked to the Kennedy assasination. And may have been killed for her investigative reporting into the matter. Similarly the same as Marilyn Monroe, she of the "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" fame. Plus, she was a gorgeous movie star. She was my first celebrity crush. And crushed was I when she died of an apparent suicide in 1962.

The reruns of the show are on the GSN every night at 3 a.m., and I'm watching it now. The mystery guest is due to come on now. Who will tonight's guest be?....
by jove, it's Chuck Dressan, manager of the L.A., er, Brooklyn Dodgers. Ah, nostalgia.

I'm a game show junkie. And it all started with my watching the venerable game show "What's My Line?" As a youngster, who sneaked a peek from his bedroom, until his mom relented and let me watch from the living room.

Mystery challenger, sign him please. v.c.

P.S. And who can forget the charming Arlene Francis and Bennet Cerf, he of Random House fame. And the host, John Daly.

P.S.S. According to reports, the cast and show were never the same after the death of Ms. Kilgallen. A pall, if you will, hung over the production and cast members..


The following video is telling, especially concerning Ms. Kilgallen.



P.S. 3: "I've Got A Secret" is playing now with the affable Garry Moore. They are analyzing the upcoming fight of Sonny Listen vs. one, Cassius Clay. This is great stuff. Circa '63 or was it '64? Sonny Listen was said to be unbeatable. As we all know ( or most of us ) Clay beat Listen, and in the rematch, Sonny supposedly took a dive. A phantom punch sent him to the canvas, and he was never heard of again. Another case of conspiracy theory. This is good stuff, eh?

No comments: