Sunday, January 16, 2005

The Return of the Force!

It is well-chronicled how the synchronistic force flows within me. However, I never know when it will rear its head. It is always freaky just the same.

Today I received a call from one of my old pals. We hadn't spoken to each other in probably 10 years or more. You know how it is as time goes by. Play it again, Sam. You get married and you have kids and you have mortgage payments and you have bills out the ying-yang. And your old friends have lives, too. And you just kind of lose touch with one another. And time fades away. [ a tip of the cap to Neil Young ]

And your hair starts falling out and your eyesight starts failing and your girlish figure will never be the same size as it was back in the day. And you start worrying about impending diseases you may get- real and imagined. And you just don't have the same zest for life cos it seems as if each day is a repeat of the prior one.

So when you lose touch with old friends maybe you don't mind. You want them to remember you as the guy with the full head of hair who didn't wear coca-cola lens/glasses and had a svelte shape. And who wanted to change the world. Ah, memories.

Back to the call. It was from my old Truck U. roommate. Yes, it was none other than Keith. Maybe you remember? He had the bottom bunk and me the top bunk at Payne Hall. He was calling to let me know that one of our old comrades had bit the dust.

It was good to hear from Keith but sad to learn the news. He asked how Kitty and the kids were doing and me likewise. He said something about "we weren't supposed to get old."
He always had a way with a saying. But I couldn't help wondering if he still had his hair. Arnold, his dad, was follicle-challenged so it's a good bet Keith is too.

He also asked about Bogus Bob and I told him Bob was balder than the proverbial cue ball, allah his dad, who we affectionately referred to as "Sweet Lucy," and who passed away years ago. And now another Rowdy High Alum.

Anyway, me and Keith said our goodbyes. And images of a time long gone swirled through my mind. But what are the odds? I write Truck U. starring Keith, my childhood chum, and a coppola weeks later he's calling me after a ten year mia. What to think of this phenomena known as synchronicity?-may the force be with you. Flowing within you and without you. Go figga, mon trigga.

Farewell and adieu, v.c.

P.S. "Whatever happened to
The life that we once knew?
Always made me feel
So free"








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your syncronistic events, written so well, sent a shiver up my spine. It is a sad fact that we all are getting old. I feel you.................