Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Like A Rolling Stone

I just wrote this damn thing and lost it-the first ever. Used to happen a lot on the Yahoo. First time for everything. So this will be brief.

The post was about the new edition of Rolling Stone: "The 500 Greatest Hits of All Time."

In summary-too lazy and not enough time to recreate-the Fab 4 led the way; the Stones second; and Bobby Dylan was numero uno with "Like a Rolling Stone," a memorable classic with Al Kooper on organ done in one take. Unbelievable!

And Sly and the Family Stone had six selections. I liked Sly back in the day. "Family Affair" and "If You Want Me To Stay" were two of me favourites. Shirley, "Don't Call Me "N" word, Whitey" probably didn't make it. See, it's Thanksgiving and I haven't had the time to peruse the whole article.

But there's great material here for future forays. @#$@$ google/computer.

Farewell and adieu, v.c.

P.S. The King, not Slim Whitman of yodeling fame, had 11 songs in the top 500.

2 comments:

Hoots said...

Remember the comedian on Ed Sullivan, the one with the cigar box that he used as a hand puppet...
He would ask the box "Alright?"
And the box would crack open and a raspy voice replied "Sawright."
It pisses me off to lose a bunch of writing to technical gliches, but when it happens I tell myself, sawright. Just practice. Better next time. Besides, thoughts and ideas are more important than words. The words can go, but the ideas will endure.

Snave said...

I'll go check out that list! Sounds fun! 500 Greatest Hits? Do you have a favorite hit of all time? I like so many songs and so many artists I'm not sure I could name just one. It might have to be something by the Beatles or Dylan, though... but my favorite Beatles songs weren't hits... "If I Needed Someone"... "Lovely Rita"... and as for Dylan, "Visions of Johanna" wasn't ever a hit single. I would imagine "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who was on that list of 500... I sure hope so, anyway! It's one I've always liked. Hmmm. Time to go see if the list is online yet!