Tuesday, November 15, 2011

"We Didn't Invent the Chicken, Just the Chicken Sandwich"

I stopped by ye old Chick-Fil-A today and ordered a number 1. Sans fries instead opting for cole slaw. On the way out I noticed its famous slogan: "we didn't invent the chicken blah blah blah, and I thought of the other ad slogans that have willed themselves into our psyche. Here's my take on these ad slogans.

1) "Where's the beef?" Even tho' Wendy's has a big burger, the beef is actually on my grill. With my famous herbs and seasonings and an inch thick ground chuck burger. Yep, that's where the beef is.

2) "11 herbs and spices" Would KFC have been as popular if the Colonel had decided to use 10 herbs and spices instead of eleven in his famous fried chicken. Or maybe a twelfth would have gummed up the works. In summary, 11 made him famous.

3) "You know when it's real." At least they've sped up the singing on the commercial. In the beginning it sounded like an old cafeteria chain's ad which had a wimpy "so fine" at its end. Anyway, what does it mean?-"you know when its real."
Doesn't do a lot for me. I know when it's fake as in "where's the beef." Once again peruse my backdoor grill.

4) "I'm loving it." One of my favorites. Loving what? The long work days for the manager. The scrumptious food? The rowdy guests?

5) "We didn't invent the chicken yadi yadi yadi." A few people out there in the U.S. surely will take issue with that one. Was Truett Cathy the first man on the planet to decide that a chicken on a bun was a good idea? Don't think so.

6) "Have it your way!" Burger King really gummed up the works when they told the populace that they could have it their way. Have you ever been to a drive thru and heard?: "Gimme 2 mcburgers without ketchup; two without pickle; 3 value fries without salt; 2 with salt; three mcburgers add mcsauce and lettuce; 3 cokes one without ice, one regular ice, and one with ten cubes of ice. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

7) "We made money the old fashioned way, we earned it." Wonder what the wall street protesters think of that one? ( Sorry to veer off the food service theme )

8) "Hardee's: Come on home." I didn't know Hardee's slogan, perhaps that is why they are so far down the food chain, so I looked it up. I do remember going to Charleston, S.C. as a young boy and reveling in the fast food concept ( Hardee's ). Cos I loved me some hamburgers and fries back in the daze. My cousin, Joanie, gummed up the works by ordering a plain burger-nothing on it-and was similar to Truett Cathy as she invented the need for a burger sans condiments.

9) "Papa John's. Better ingredients, better pizza." Perhaps. At least Dominos was spurred into action.

10) "Arby's. Now That Your Tastes Have Grown Up! What are you eating today?"

If yours truly was still in San Fran, I would be enjoying a plastic bottled water transferred into a glass bottle; tons of organic lettuce and bean sprouts; and anything else organic. Perhaps the sloganeer of Arby's hails from the bay.

So where's the beef?; who invented the chicken sandwich?; yadi yadi yadi.

No comments: