Tuesday, February 05, 2008

"The White Buffalo"

I don't have to work tomorrow until 5 p.m. eastern standard time. So I have time to indulge my hobby by writing a few blurbs on the world according to one v.c., yours truly. I am being slowed-once again-by this thing called a keyboard. Whose letters stick, "r", "d", and "e" being the main culprits. Where's the wd 40 when you really need it?

As some of you know, I am a movie buff. And whilst traversing over 100 channels on my t.v. I ain't found nothing of interest.

I am trying "The WHite Buffalo" with Charles Bronson, he of "Death Wish" fame, which was parlayed into 5 installments. Buffalo has C.B. as Wild Bill Hickok, who is in pursuit of a crazed albino bison of his nightmares.

Then there was "They Live." A film from John Carpenter, he of "Halloween" fame. This one stars Rowdy Roddy Piper, he of wrestling fame in the WWE. The movie starts out slow, too slow even for me.

Buffalo co-stars Clint Walker-he just arrived on the scene-he of Cheyenne Brodie fame.

During the 50's and early 60's westerns were the rage. There was Bonanza, the Rifeleman, Wanted Dead or Alive, Wagon Train, Sugarfoot, Bronco, ad nauseum. The chic latter 60's pushed the genre into oblivion. No longer was it cool for the white man to kill the Indians. Because we soon learned the white man did in fact speak with forked tongue.

One of my favorite movies as a kid was an Indians-Cowboys movie in which the Indians were the good guys. Starred Sal Mineo-of all people-as an Injun whose horse was Tonka
Lane. Great movie for me as a youngster. Sal was probably from Brooklyn or the Bronx, so go figure. Leave it to Walt Disney to make this incongrous fantasy come true.

I looked for "High Stakes Poker" on the Game Show Channel, but it ain't on tonite. Speaking of incongrous, the host is Gabe Kaplan, he of "Welcome Back, Kotter" fame. Who now proclaims himself as a professional gambler.

To get in the game, you have to buy in at a minimum of $100,000. Small fortunes are won and lost on every hand. Now that's entertainment. And makes me want to head to Vegas and get in on the action. I don't have the necessary requirements, unfortunately. No guts, no glory.

Bruce Lee's final foray into karate and jiu jitsu and mayhem was on earlier, but I forgot it was on. "Casablanca" starts at 1:00-the ultimate chick flick-so these eyes may watch again. "The problems of three people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world." Exactly! And as we all know-well, those of us in the know know-Rick never said "Play It Again, Sam!" Why? Because he loathed the song. It was he and Ilsa's "song." And she ditched him in Paris, never to return until that fateful day in Casablanca.

It's a damn shame with all of the channels on my vast wasteland of a television set, there's nothing to watch but C.B. chasing an albino; and Rowdy Roddy Piper trying to become the next Brando. Where's something to watch: like "The Thing" ( from outer space ); "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"; "I Married an Alien From Outer Space"; and/or "Alien."

"I Married An Alien" starred the enigmatic Tom Tryon as the alien. He was also a cowboy in a series that escapes me at the moment. And he also wrote "The Other," a macabre thriller which was-what else?-turned into a movie.

Well, the old clock on the wall says it's time to conclude tonite's foray. I could go on and on. Which makes parting such sweet sorrow. Apologies to the Bard!

Selah, v.c.


P.S. I guess I could be watching the election returns? Nah!

No comments: