Sunday, February 24, 2008

"TCM"

My favorite channel, TCM, is once again featuring "31 Days of Oscar." Movies shown during this period have won or were nominated for the grand prize....of Oscar.

"Raging Bull" just concluded. I have seen it only once. And that was at the Bijou back in the day. Circa 1980, methinks. And only a person like myself-mesmerized with pop cvulture-would even know the date. But that's how my mind works, and there ain't nothing I can do about it.

"Raging Bull" was directed by Martin Scorcese. < sp > One of the top films of all time as verified by most critics. But it's an ultra dark look at the human condition. Even tho' filmed in black/white, if I want to view a seamy side of life, I can turn on the local news or Court TV.

"Breaker Morant" just took its place. And 1980 or so sounds about right for this cinematic foray. I enjoyed it back then, but the last time I tried to watch-on TCM-of course, I couldn't get into it.


Anyway, there's the usual slate of great to good movies. Here's to Ted Turner, who was a man of great vision.

All quiet on the western front, v.c.


No comments: