Thursday, February 14, 2008

"Clockwork Orange"

I have never seen the whole movie. Just bits and pieces. I must admit to watching the much ballyhooed rape scenes. Just happened to be "clicking away" whilst perusing the many channels available via the vast wasteland, aka television.

Clockwork Orange is one of those artsy-fartsy movies, and Stanley Kubrick has made many of 'em. A Space Odyssey comes to mind. I saw that one in '70 or back in the day and remember walking out of the theatre wondering what the f***! I liked the parts with "Hal," the mutinous robot. But they lost me with the gorillas throwing the bones into the air; and the embryonic baby at the end; and all of the other weird stuff.

I tried to make sense of it all, but it was way over me head. I require the basic premise: aliens arrive on Earth from outer space and wreak havoc, until a team of scientists finds the outer spacemen's Achilles heel.

The dialogue is always the same:

"The aliens are smarter than us! Hopefully, they are a peaceful lot."

"We must get to know and understand them."

"Like we have understood each other on Earth?"

"Oh, my God. They are wreaking havoc."

"Don't worry. We have the best minds ( team of scientists ) on the job."

"Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

"I am Doctor Robert, and I have conceived an Achilles Heel plan to eradicate the aliens."

"That was brilliance. Thank you team of scientists. You have saved our world. Mankind is once again in control of his, er, destiny.."

"Until the sequel!"

"The End!"



Happy Valentine's Day, v.c.

No comments: