Sunday, February 17, 2008

"Sad News"

Roy Scheider passed away yesterday. He was 75. And one of the stars of "Jaws" my fav flick of all time. Forget "Citizen Kane"; "GWTH"; "Da Godfather"; et al. Why? The dialogue; the characterizations; the director, one Steven Spielberg; the setting; Bruce, da shark; et al.

For those of you who don't know, he played Sheriff Brody. He of the "we gotta get a bigger boat"; "why don't you [ Capt'n Quint ] let Hooper sling some of this shit [ chum ]; et al.

I have watched it at least a hundred times, cos my two sons dug it, too. And, of course, we bought the tape and later the dvd. Must be in the DNA, eh? But they never liked Perry Mason so perhaps they belong to the postman; milkman; cable provider; et al.

We all have to leave this old world at some point. Which reminds me I had a dream last nite where I was sitting at a piano with none other than George Harrison. I couldn't believe I was sitting with a member of the Fabulous 4. I didn't know what to say, but I did tell him my favorite song of his was "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

But as most dreams go awry-just when they're getting good-so did this one. Dammit. And I either woke up or shifted into another sequence. Double dammit.

Back to Roy. I was looking for a flick to watch this past week on Comcast ( free movies ) and decided on "Blue Thunder." An old one from the early 80's. It just so happens that Mr. Scheider was the star. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Apologies to Arsenio Hall.

Make of it what you may. But there seems to be a force working within and perhaps without yours truly. Only time william tell, er, will tell.

It's late-gotta go; farewell and adieu; adios; au revoir; et al.

Dream a little dream of me, v.c.

P.S. Jaws was Steven Spielberg's first major motion picture. And could have been his last. Overbudget; Bruce, the shark didn't work all the time; and Steven was worried about the public's acceptance of such a film; et al. Interesting history behind it. It was also the first flick to gross over 100 million dollars. Ka-ching.


No comments: