Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"Dear Cat:"

Advice to and for the lovelorn:

Dear Cat: You have gotten back on your Fab 4 kick. I love them, too, but what about the films, man? You are the resident genius when it comes to old movies, particularly those horror flicks from the late 50's. What gives? And what are some of your favorite movies?

Signed: They're Gonna Put Me In The Movies

Dear Movies: Some of my favorites-and thanks for the query-are:

1) Casablanca: The ultimate chick flick with Rick and Ilsa.

2) Vertigo: Another chick flick. And the music! Hitchcock's best.

3) The 7th Voyage of Sinbad: The best sci-fi movie I've ever seen.

If, I were writing this column to the loveloin, I might have to include any movie with Johnny Weismuller and Maureen O'Sullivan, ( Mia farrow's mom ) as tarzan and Jane, respectively.

Another movie I like is currently playing on AMC. Bummer, because they delete those choice slang words ( for unlawful carnal knowledge, per example ) and have way too many commercials. It happens to be aptly entitled: "Death Wish 3." Why this sleeper you may ask? Because I've had 3 death wishes since starting this deranged foray.

Anyway, thanks for the query?



Dear Cat: This theory of thought may be a bit over your head, but I thought I would ask anyway. Do you believe in muses? And do you think one could inspire you to write something other than these infantile emissions of yours?

The Muse has inspired English poetry since Chaucer invoked her in 1374. Muse comes from Latin Mūsa, from Greek Mousa. ( from Dictionary.com-where else? )

Signed: Bemused and Amused.

Dear Beamused: I have no for. unlawful. carnal. knowledge-ing clue of which you speak. I will deign to write them the way I see them. But perhaps there is something to being inspired by a muse. It's a nice thought. And one to which I will give some considerable thought. Yes, I think I would like to begin a short story, a novel, a narrative if you will. What have I got to lose?

P.S. Was there a "Death Wish 4?" And "Baby, I'm Amused, er, Amazed" ( This is an incredible video. While watching, I got chill bumps. The lead guitar work and the drumming, plus Paul's voice and mastery of the piano are not to be missed. He wrote this song in '70 or therabouts, and played all the instruments. Including every song on the album. The guy is f'n incredible )



Dear Cat: I read the first two letters of your colums, and you haven't mentioned the Fab 4 not once. I know you're itching to. Because you include a you-tube in every foray. Am I right? And if so, list a few of your favorite songs from them.

Signed: From Me To You

Dear From Me To You. Correctomondo. You got me. Guilty as charged. Here are some of my favoites:

1) Happiness Is A Warm Gun ( Bang Bang Shoot Shoot )

2) Help

3) Piggies

4) Helter Skelter

5) Maxwell's Silver Hammer

6) Run For Your Life

7) Tell Me What You See

8) There's A Place

9) Because

10) ( Love ) It's A Bitch-Now how did a Rolling Stones song make the survey?

All the above songs were inspired from Death Wish 3: Now playing on AMC.



Thanks for the queries: Another "Dear Cat" copyright pending?

No comments: