Tuesday, August 08, 2006

"The Last Plantation"

 
 
 
 

Today's most tightly-contested House of Representatives race [ pun unintended ] pits Cynthia McKinney vs. Hank Johnson. Both are vying for the 4th District seat in Jawja, er, Georgia.

Back in the early days of 1991, I was travelling to H.ell W.hole, my employment venue, when my Dodge Street Van [ Ol' Betsy ] up and died on me on the interstate. Poor girl had thrown a rod, the equivalent of a massive heart attack in humans. Smoke was billowing from the hood. I jumped out after making our way to the shoulder. Cursing my luck and bemoaning Ol' Betsy's fate, I wondered what in the hell [ whole ] I was gonna do.

I didn't have a cell phone then-not even a beeper. I began walking to the exit which was a good coppola miles away. Before I could get a few steps down the pavement, a van pulled up beside me. I recognized the driver, who was a frequent customer of mine.

"I saw you break down," he said. "I'll give you a ride to work. Jump in!"

The good samaritan had been on the opposite side of the interstate when Ol' Betsy's demise happened with a quickness. He got off at the exit to help out yers truly.

I was deeply indebtted to my customer and thanked him for his kindness, as he dropped me off at H.W.

"We all need a hand every now and then," he said.

I saw him many times after that. If I recall correctly, his food of choice was fried shrimp. And sometimes I would thank him again for his kind deed. The customer's name is Hank Johnson. And he is battling Cynthia McKinney today for a chance to go to Washington.

Who'd a thunk it? v.c.

P.S. After perusing Ms. McKinney's blog, I happened on a video from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgoaQIz97LM. Concerning disgruntled black officers in Washington, D.C.
 Posted by Picasa

No comments: