Thursday, December 02, 2004

Publish or Perish Revisited

The Pond has been in hiatus for the last two days. There always seems to be a positive in a negative, so with that in mind, here's tonite's foray.

1) Before proceeding, I must correct the Hootster concerning the making of buttermilk from scratch. Sorry! Maybe it's old-timers rearing its ugly head, again. But my friend, cajun balls au vin, correctly recalled that 8 gallons of water and 8 lbs. of powdered milk is required. And one quart of store-bought buttermilk. Not the 5 & 5 erroneously reported by you know who.

From yours truly: One key to its success lies in the water temperature.....70-72 degrees are the magic numbers. And a spanking-clean container, as well.

Back in the day the brass firmly disallowed its use in fried chicken. But imho, the b.m. could have been used as a batter, provided the above procedures were followed. The brass had little or no faith in the b.m. makers. And rightfully so.

But in 2004, it's really quite irrelevent. However, if one's interst is piqued, I suggest the following disclaimer: Caution: "Don't try this at home." [ unless your plans include inviting Betty Crocker over for brunch or on feeding a battalion or brigade. ]

2) Each Christmas, "It's A Wonderful Life," the movie, returns to television. There are different versions. The restored original black and white; the grainy one with all the snow and blips; and the colorized one.
Even though I've watched it through the years, I got more out of it last year. Getting older, perhaps? And relating to the central theme: how one's life makes an impact in the grand scheme of things, and how different things would be if not for one's existence.

3) There is no three. Sleepy....so sleepy.

Farewell and adieu, v.c.

P.S. The "Family Man" with Nicolas Cage is another great Christmas movie foray!


3 comments:

Hoots said...

Right you are, Cat. I stand corrected.
As you grow older, memory tends to bend and stretch a bit. The interesting part is that in editing the past we tend to gloss over the stuff that we don't care to recall, while exaggerating the parts that make the memory more, well, memorable. Don't know why I didn't remember that it was a ten gallon container, not five. But now that you remind me it all comes back.
Lately I've been revising my memory of why in the world I ever got into the food business. There was a time when I considered it an interesting and challenging career. I found out, though, that food was only the shell. The real career was simply a lifetime of putting up with stuff. That's what we are paid for, you know. Putting up with stuff.

vietnamcatfish said...

Ah, memories. May be beautiful and yet.
What's too painful to remember.
We simply choose to forget.

A foray into "Why I Ever Got Into The Food Biz?" by Hootsbuddy would be a good story, eh?

Anonymous said...

I am getting left so way far behind in bloggerdom. I still use dial up, so it takes me at least 3 minutes to even be able to post a comment. Sheesh! I can get the grill fired up an ready in that amount of time. I guess it all comes down to priorities, eh?

Well, at least I did 'almost' watch the movie you mentioned in your post. "Family Man" with Nick Cage held my attention for what I think was most of the movie. I fell asleep somewhere after the Christmas Party scene. I hope to be able to catch the ending somewhere between now and Christmas. It shouldn't be too hard as most of the cable channels are wearing it out.

I enjoy reading this web log more than watching T.V. ennyhoo. 6 thumbs up dude!