Saturday, February 18, 2012

"I Am the Walrus"

Posted by Picasa
Now I know why I like "Walrus!"

 From Wikipedia: 

 Musical structure:

 All the chords are major chords or seventh chords, and all the musical letters of the alphabet (A, B, C, D, E, F and G) are used. The song ends with a chord progression built on ascending and descending lines in the bass and strings, repeated over and over as the song fades. Musicologist Alan W. Pollack analyses: "The chord progression of the outro itself is a harmonic Moebius strip with scales in bassline and top voice that move in contrary motion."[8] The bassline descends stepwise A, G, F, E, D, C, and B, while the strings' part rises A, B, C, D, E, F#, G: this sequence repeats as the song fades, with the strings rising higher on each iteration. Pollack also notes that the repeated cell is seven bars long, which means that a different chord begins each four-bar phrase.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42luHhrsNhg  

P.S. I remember at a high school reunion a few years ago some friends were discussing their favorite Fab 4 tunes. When I told 'em "I Am the Walrus" they couldn't believe it.

No comments: