Thursday, March 03, 2011

"True Grit"

I remember traveling to Panama City one summer circa 1969 with two of my best friends. We were taking Bob's Gran Torino. 4 in the floor and all that. We were headed to the beach in search of rest and relaxation. We had just graduated from Rowdy High, and, of course, we were full of ourselves.

We stopped at a hole in the wall restaurant one morning for breakfast. I wasn't much of a breakfast person, but my two buds were. When the server, er, waitress asked for our order Bob said eggs, bacon, and grits. I said grit is what John Wayne had in his last movie.

She failed to see the humor and branded me a smartass.

On TCM the other nite, the aforementioned movie was playing during "Oscar Month." Not surprisingly, John won his only oscar. The cast included Dennis Hopper and Robert Duvall.


No comments: