Friday, June 27, 2008

"My Generation"

It's 4:12 in the morning and I ain't sleepy. I just worked an arduous 10 hour shift in the food biz, so I should be exhausted and ready for beddy-bye. For some unknown reason, I am writing this tale whilst munching on fresh cherries from the Piggly Wiggly.

I am also perusing videos via utube. Whoever invented this phenomena should be rewarded handsomely cos it's the coolest thing since VHS and cd's. And bvd's, er,-that,too-dvd's. Here's one from "bitd" that's an excellent one.



It reminds me of Kent State-4 dead in Ohio-; Vietnam-the Tet Offensive; and my arrival into adulthood from teenagerdumb, er, teenagerdom.

I was getting a haircut the other day and had on my Paul Mac t shirt. The barber, a young lad in his 20's, told me how he dug Paul Mac and away we went.

I told him I had seen Sir Paul and had the honor and privilege of being on row 6 right in front of the stage. Circa 1991. How I had seen the Fab 4 in '65.

I told him-when he mentioned Steppenwolf-that I had seen them a couple of times. I didn't mention seeing an old friend-Randy Foster-who was in attendance at one of the shows and who was high on animal tranquilizer. Was our generation that forked up that we resorted to insane shit like that?

I told my barber that the "heavy metal" genre came from the song, er, "Born to be Wild."


I like smoking lightning;
Heavy metal thunder.

( For the uninformed )


He was impressed when I told him I had seen Rod Stewart and Faces in concert. But not the Vanilla Fudge, who he had no inkling as to who or what this was.

ZZ Top; Marshall Tucker Band-the loudest concert I have ever been to. I like loud music, but my gawd. The decibles these dudes generated was akin to a nuclear bomb exploding. Can't you see-yes, but now I can't hear-what that woman's been doing to me.

I told him I had seen George Harrison, but can't remember telling him I was so stoned and drunk that I, yes, yours truly, passed out and missed the end of the concert.

As he snipped and clipped, I regaled in stories of yesteryear. My exploits, if you will. I did forget to tell him that v.c. had seen Neil Young a few times. But it can wait till my next date with him-only your hairdresser knows for sure, eh?

Pecking away I am beginning to get sleepy. The ten hour shifts-which ravage my body-are finally kicking in.

See me, feel me, hear me, v.c.

P.S. Went to the Piggle Wiggly later, and the two checkout girls went ga ga over the shirt.

"My favorite Fab 4 album is 'The White Album,'" she said.

"Mine, too," I said.

"My favorite song is Julia. And that's my name."

"I'm v.c. and do you ( know you're talking to Mr. Trivia )? Do you know who 'Julia" was?"

"No."

"John Lennon's mother. And 'ocean child calls me' was Yoko Ono."

"I love your t shirt."

"Yeah, thanks."

And like this foray: bye bye.


No comments: