Saturday, June 07, 2008

"1985"

As a teenager I had to read "1984" by George Orwell. Good stuff. The denizens of the said novel were taking all kinds of pills-or maybe that was "Brave New World." And I read "Lord of the Flies;" and "Animal Farm." Damn, I forgot that yours truly read so many of the classics.

No wonder my mind was confused as a pubescent denizen of this world. These books were heavy-duty. And at the time seemed like pure fantasy. I read "The Caine Mutiny," too, by Herman Wouk. One of my favorites. And the movie was well-done, as well, with Humphrey Bogart as Captain Queeg, the war-weary veteran who buckles under the stresses of command.

Bogie was good in just about every thing he's ever done. He was short-not the "leading man" type-but he had something. Charisma? Tough guy? And the dames loved him.

What got me on this subject was popping in the olde "homemade" c.d. ( made a coppola moons ago ) courtesy of "Ares," on my way home from the job this a.m.. "1985" from Macca was one of the selections and one of me all time favs. ( saying fav is akin to saying "spot on." I must repeat-unequivocably-that I will never say "spot on" for love or money. It is what it is!" And I did hear some sports announcer say it on the telly recently, and I wanted to barf and/or hurl. )

And I got to thinking that it was clever of the songwriter to pen a tune about Orwell's 1984. A year later.


No One Left Alive In 1985, Will Ever Do
She May Be Right
She May Be Fine
She May Get Love But She Won't Get Mine
'Cos I Got You.


Most people-I would dare say-have never read the classics. Not that that's a bad thing. It's probably a good thing. And people still talk like dumb asses. And use double negatives. My sister is a good example of this. She uses them frequently. It's ok by me if people use them, but to me it generates a red flag that maybe you ain't as smart as you think you are.

For the most part, I think we're all kind of dumb-yes, even Mr. Somewhat Grammar ( yours truly ) heads the list. In fact, the poster boy of dumb if you will.

So what's the point of this foray? Hell if I know.

I enjoyed listening to my "homemade c.d." There were tunes from "Foreigner;" the "Rolling Stones;" Neil Young;" even Babs Streisand. Who'd a thunk it? And believe it or not-no Fab 4 tunes.

The foray ends, v.c.


P.S. I Didn't Think I Never Dreamed
That I Would Be Around To See It All Come True
Woh I Oh I
Well I Just Can't Get Enough Of That Sweet Stuff
My little lady gets behind!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems now that 1999 was scarier than either 1984 or Y2K...

Piccadilly Cafeterias Inc. appoints chief executive officer

BATON ROUGE, La.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 9, 1995--Piccadilly Cafeterias Inc. (NYSE:PIC) announced today that Ronald A. LaBorde has been named Chief Executive Officer.

Mr. LaBorde has served as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the company since January, 1992.

Mr. LaBorde, 39, is a native of Baton Rouge. He earned both his undergraduate and graduate degrees from Louisiana State University. He joined Piccadilly in July, 1982.

Dr. Paul W. Murrill will continue to serve as Chairman of the Board. Dr. Murrill, who chaired the search committee of the board of directors, stated, "We are pleased with the appointment of Ronnie as CEO. The search committee was very thorough, and we are confident that Ronnie will aggressively face the challenges and opportunities before us. Piccadilly will prosper under his leadership."

Mr. LaBorde added, "I look forward to the opportunity of moving our company forward. The Piccadilly family provides a strong foundation upon which to build. I am committed to do what is necessary to maximize our potential and to increase shareholder value."

Piccadilly Cafeterias Inc. owns and operates 132 cafeterias in 17 states and eight Ralph & Kacoo's seafood restaurants in four states. All units are company-owned.

CONTACT: Piccadilly Cafeterias Inc., Baton Rouge

Ronald A. LaBorde, 504/293-9440