Monday, December 25, 2006

"Merry Christmas"

I'm sitting here at 5:00 a.m. waiting for 6:00 a.m. to arrive. That's when I can wake up Kitty and pass the baton. She pooped-out on me at 2:00 a.m. while I was busy in the kitchen cooking the holiday fare.

"You'll stay up all night with me and cook?" Kitty pleaded. She was gonna do some chores like vacuum and put out her Christmas figures, which would be perched on top of our fake fireplace. The gas one which eats up petrol faster than a politician's SUV.

"Sure, I will, Pumpkin. I will stay up all night with you."

Anyway, Kitty couldn't stay up-which was ok by me, cos she wasn't feeling well-and I'm a nite owl, so I began the rest of my cooking chores.

The spiral-sliced ham had been cooked before midnight. Next on the list was my mom's famous "hush yer mouth sweet potato souffle" with ye olde pecan topping. Then it was buttermilk pie, which turned out nicely-thank you very much. A beautiful whipped creation with a lovely shade of brown covering the entire top. Next were the lima beans; then the cream cheese dip, which had diced onions, olives, miracle whip, and dried beef; and, last but not least, chocolate chess pie. Borrowed from the AJC, our local fishwrapper.

It's 5:22 and only 38 minutes until Kitty's golden slumber will come to an abrupt halt. While writing, I'm watching "Holiday Affair" with a very young Janet Leigh and Robert Mitchum, circa 1949. Before yers truly was even born, and my sister, Olga, was only 4 years old.

It's 5:26 and y.t. is getting tired. And the jist of my story was to wish everyone a Merry Christmas anyway. So....

Merry Christmas, v.c.

P.S. If anyone's hungry for some holiday vittles, come on by-we got a'plenty.

1 comment:

Hoots said...

And Merry Christmas to you as well. It's coming up on seven AM as I write this and this house is also still asleep, dogs and all. It is my good fortune to be going to work today for the care and feeding of forty-plus residents and their guests at a buffet. It will all be over by two, and I shall be on my way home, dreaming of the day that retirement releases me from obligations such as that.

(If you know anyone thinking of going into the food business, send 'em by and let me have a chat with them. Labor-intensive service jobs should be the employment choice of last resort, way down the list after practically everything else.)

Merry Christmas!

Incidentally, my traffic is averaging over 140 per day, mostly searches. The most popular post since Thanksgiving has been the boiled Custard Recipe. A Google search for "boiled custard recipe" has a link to my post about ten or twelve items down from the top. Pretty neat, huh?