Friday, May 30, 2008

"Swimmingly" and "Nude Swimming Scene"

Well, I went to the gym today. For the first time. I signed up back in the chilly days of January. All set to shed some lbs. and to get stronger. Lucy, what happened?

Exactly. My mom took a spill in a gopher hole and my life hasn't been the same since.

You got to get back in the fray some time, so today was it.

I stumbled into the front door and flashed my coded card to a machine which authenticated my membership. I told the two young femmes I was here for the first time and could they point me in the direction of the jacuzzi.

I headed to the locker room, donned my bathing suit, and waded into the bubbling water. It was warm and toasty. The Olympic pool was in close proximity and soon I was splashing about allah Johnny Weismuller in "Tarzan Conquers Africa and Later Cleveland, Ohio."

I swam underwater; on my back; and even the normal style, making each lap in about 40 seconds. Not bad for an old guy. It only takes 35.5 laps to do a mile. It reminded me of my final exam in swimming at Rowdy University. Navigate a mile free-style and you pass the course. I have never been so exhausted in all my life. It ain't no joke.

I only managed 5 or six laps this time and reverted-quickly-to the jacuzzi. Noticing the ominous warnings-posted on the wall-about dizziness, pregnant women, older persons, fainting- I decided to extricate myself and head home.

When leaving, the young femmes asked "how did it go?"

I recounted the jacuzzi visit and the pool and told them I hadn't swam in a while, and I was exhausted.

"That's good," they said nodding their heads.

Saying goodbye I wondered if I should have replied: "I haven't swum in a while. so I'm exhausted."

I'm still thinking "swim, swam, swum" as I walk out to the Ford Pinto.

Then reality kicks in. Who in their right mind has ever used the word "swum" in a normal conversation? Not sure I ever have.

Swimmingly, and perhaps fittingly, this foray will end.

"Swim, swam, swum."

I swim; you swam; I have swum.

Do they even teach this stuff today?

Swum, v.c.


P.S. Pretty racy for 1934. See video below.

1 comment:

Hoots said...

Lookin' good.
Getting older is a rocky road, isn't it?
We all make adjustments, like it or not.
Gimme a call sometime.