Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Helter Skelter!

The other day Kitty was in the study doing her voluminous paper work, and I had just finished showering with Zest, er, Dove known for having 50% moisturizing cream. It was Dr. Doobee, er, Dobes who recommended the latter soap for my sensitive pores twenty years ago today.

His dad had treated me for acne back in the day. { Stone Age ] His routine included smearing my face with "dry ice," which made me look like the Avon Rouge Representative for a few hours. It was always embarrasing to walk out of the office, because passersby knew I had been to see Dr. Doobee. The younger Doobee, like his dad, used the ice, as well.

However, this afternoon the popular cosmetics firm was nowhere to be found, and Dr. Doobee's remedy wasn't needed as the "Cat" has advanced into middle earth, er, age.
So I get out of the shower and a lite bulb towers over me head-an idea has emerged. Me and Kitty will take a mini-holiday trip to Panama City/Destin, Fla.

"What do you think, Kitty?"

"Let's go! We can eat at 'Capt. Anderson's' and 'Angelo's' like we always do."

"Yes, Kitty my love, we can go swimming in the crystal-clear water known as the Gulf. Watch out for those jellyfish, eh?"

"Fly or drive?"

"We'll fly, Kitty. Get there in a hurry, rent a car, and head to the beach."

"Cat, darling, you never cease to amaze."

"Thanks, Pumpkin. Sometimes I amaze myself. I want to para-sail again; and you can bungee-jump!"

"Let's leave Katlain and Charlie Jr. at home."

"It will be a ball, pumpkin."

"I can't wait."

The above conversation occurred a week before a young girl was killed 200 yards from the shore by a tiger shark. The next day a young teenager lost his leg while fishing in waist deep water. And a few days later, another teen was bitten on the ankle. Once again in waist deep water by one of the fiercest predators known to man. { apologies to the grizzly bear ] Me and Kitty soon had another conversation about our impending trip.

"I will never go in the Gulf again."

"But, Kitty, you are more likely to be hit by lightning than bitten by a shark."

"That's because the Mid-West has no beaches."

"But, Pumpkin."

"You say jellyfish. And everybody says 'huh, what?' Or barracuda-'huh, what' But you say shark, and you've got a panic on your hands on the 4th of July. We can go to 'Dolly World,' instead."

But Pumpkin!"

Needless to say our trip has been postponed temporarily. 20 footer. Twenty five!

No comments: