Saturday, April 14, 2007

"In the Hall of the Mountain King"

I've got one more day to go. Then I'm off for one day. Work 4 more days. And it's back to Lebanon, Tenn. I have been out front the last few days. No more sweating-well, not really sweating cos I was dehydrated-and no more flour on me pants and shoes. At least I come home like a sharp dressed man.

It was funny today. My new company uses Piggly Wiggly white vinegar for something. Not sure what. Mebbe it's for the guests who want it on their salads or greens. Who knows? But there it was. P.W. white vinegar. My old d.m. would have had a hissy:

"V.C. Mr. Hamilton [ founder of the cafeteria chain ] put a lot of thought and love into our recipes. Don't bastardize what he did, son. Now throw that shit away and get me some Heinz in here with a quickness."

He also told me how he once saved one of the cook's life. One afternoon she fell into the deep fat fryer. Quick-witted, my d.m. pulled her out of harm's way. He ripped off her clothes and threw her into the ice bin until the 911 guys got there.

Ah, memories. But the clock on the wall says it's time to bid adieu. Yahoo! I've only got one more day to work this week.

All''s fair in love and war, v.c.

P.S. On a sad note, Randall Brooks passed away this week. Father to Randy, Paul, Patrick, and Mary Ann. I will get off early tomorrow, so I can attend the services.


No comments: