Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chipper Jones pauses to reflect on his career during final visit to Dodger Stadium

Enjoyable article on Chipper Jones, Atlanta Braves 3rd baseman. Who is retiring at the end of the season.


LOS ANGELES – Forty years in, nearly half of those in the big leagues, Chipper Jones is in the midst of one final pass through baseball. 

His eyes say he'll miss it. His body, certainly from the hips down, says, "Run." You know, if he still could....

Best right-handed pitcher faced: 

"Roger."
Clemens.

Best left-hander faced: 

"Randy."
Johnson....

Best clutch pitcher: 

"Smoltzy."
John....

Best team he played on, regardless of result: 

"Yeah, I'd have to say '95 was it. The simple fact we had the big three (Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Smoltz) and, man, we were solid one through eight....."

Guy he would have wanted to play with: 

"Mickey Mantle. Awesome. I would even have hit second and let him hit third....."

If not this era, then which one: 

"Mantle's. I would've wanted to have played in that Mays, Mantle, Aaron era. That's when baseball icons truly were baseball icons." 

Best hitters' park: 

"I gotta say Phoenix right now. Me, personally, I like Minute Maid. But I think Cincinnati is the best hitters' park.

Worst hitters' park:

"I will be in the front row when they blow up Wrigley Field. The ballpark is awful."





No comments: