Friday, July 31, 2009

"King of Pop"

The hoopla over Michael Jackson's death is still raging. Did the doctor kill him? Etc. And I haven't followed much of it....at all. Not sure why except that I wasn't one of his big fans. I wasn't into the Jackson 5 music back in the daze, because I was more into rock and roll and heavy metal.

But yesterday I watched the "Jackson 5" movie, which chronicled the band's rise in the 60's. From local talent shows to playing in "hootchie-coochie" bars to signing with Motown Records.

In the movie Joe Jackson, the dad, was portrayed as being a strict disciplinarian. If one of the boys screwed up a dance routine or sang off-key, he was banished to the front yard to get a switch. Hmmm. Not sure I could have made the grade if I had been a member, cos I definitely can't do the moonwalk or the robot. "Beat it" eh?

Last night I watched Michael in a concert from 2001. It was great watching him and rekindled a lot of old memories, especially from the early 80's. "Slash" from "Guns N' Roses" played lead guitar on a few of the numbers. But it was also sad to see the way he had to hold the microphone while dancing and singing. I'm guessing here, but it must have been the many plastic surgeries. It was also sad to see the bleached face and pointy nose. God only knows what a person of his stature endures.

The one thing that blew me away when he died was the fact he was 50 years old. Which made me realize how old I am. It was just incomprehensible to me that Michael Jackson could be 50 years old. Or my being 39. Where does the time go?

So, farewell, Michael. Say hello to John and George for me. RIP, dude. And thanks for all of the memories.

Submitted for your approval, my favorite M.J. song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUi2UCPe7Yo&feature=channel

No comments: