Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"'John Cracks Up, Just Goes Mad' Beatles Talking About Shea Stadium Concert"



This will come as a big suprise, but I am one of the ultimate Beatles fans. I admit it. Even tho' I've been in denial about it.

This is some classic footage. The first really big open air stadium gig. 55,000. 60,000. As George put it: "told me it was 70,000 people."

One concert and what a metaphor. The denizens of the U.S. going crazy over 4 lads from Liverpool. Was the assasination of JFK a factor, as Camelot had come crashing down to Earth a few months prior? I think so!

The video is about the lads singing "I'm Down." As a laughing George can barely play his guitar because of the antics of John. As Ringo put it: "John cracked up, just goes mad...."

This was their appeal. And the music. And the 4 frontmen even tho' at the time George, especially, and Ringo took a back seat.

Yes, I admit to being the number one Beatles fan. Even tho' it was a long time ago, the music stands up today.

We're all alone and there's nobody else; you still moan-keep your hands to yourself, v.c.


No comments: