Friday, May 27, 2005

Richie ( Dick ) Allen


When he first entered the league he was known as Richie. Soon changed to Dick Allen. An excellent player. Some of his quotes:

If a horse can't eat it, I don't want to play on it... (Regarding artificial turf)

I know why they boo Richie all the time. When he hits a home run, there's no souvenir. (Willie Stargell, after Allen launched a home run that cleared two-deck Connie Mack Stadium)

Your body is like a bar of soap. The more you use it, the more it wears down

He's so strong that he has arms like legs... (Gene Mauch)

I once loved this game. But after being traded four times, I realize that it's nothing but a business. I treat my horses better than the owners treat us.

He also studied the game intently. I can remember being in the dugout at times when some of the White Sox players would be horsing around, playing grab-ass and goofing around. Dick would pipe up with, "Cut the crap and get your heads into the game. Watch the pitcher. Learn something." (Goose Gossage)

He was the greatest player I ever managed. ( Chuck Tanner ) Posted by Hello

No comments: