Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"Jerry Lewis Retiring From Telethon"

Say it ain't so. But I guess it's time.

Jerry Lewis was my favorite comedian when I was a youngster. I remember making the trek via the bus line to see his movies at the Fox Theater.

I never saw the Lewis-Martin movies until after they split up. Viewing them on Saturday Night at the Movies on the tube in the 60's. Back when there were only 3 channels. NBC, CBS, and ABC. In Charleston there were only 2. It's hard to imagine that today, because there are literally hundreds on cable and satellite.

My great Aunt Mad never liked Jerry-said he was too silly. That's funny because she was silly. "Pull my finger" she would say as we were riding down the highway in her 57 Chevy Bel-Air.

So Jerry is gone even tho he will sing "You'll Never Walk Along" on this year's telethon. I will miss him.

P.S. And goodbye to Harmon Killebrew. Whose battle with cancer is over. Hammering Harmon hit over 500 homers in his career. Say hello to the Babe, Lou Gehrig, and Roberto Clemente for me. And Dizzy, Pee Wee, Jolting Joe, and Johnny Weismuller.

No comments: