Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Buffets Restaurants seeks bankruptcy protection"

What goes around comes around, eh? Who would have thunk it? 

EAGEN, Del. (AP) Buffets Restaurants Holdings Inc. has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for a second time and plans to shut 81 underperforming restaurants as it tries to cope with its debt.
The company, based in Eagan, Minn., operates 494 restaurants in 38 states under names such as Old Country Buffet, HomeTown Buffet, Ryan's and Tahoe Joe's Famous Steakhouse restaurant.

I remember Old Country putting the squeeze on my old employer, which will go unnamed. There is karma in this world. Ask Blockbuster who put all of the mom and pop places out of business. A friend lamented to me the other day that she missed going to Blockbuster. It was fun; it was an event; it was a ritual. You picked out your movies, and you could buy candy and popcorn and drinks, just like at the movies."Make it a Blockbuster Night!"

It makes sense to me now. I was at an Old Country Buffet last week. I got my iced tea and paid the tab and took my tray to the dining room. I stood and waited for the server to bring me my plates, normally 2 or 3 as is the usual custom.

No server came and finally I flagged one down. Can I get my plates?

She showed me where they were, a mountainous display in the middle of the dining room. "You haven't been here in a while, have you?" she asked.

"Nope."

We changed the setup 9 months ago. It was Corporate's idea!" Not sure if she smirked or rolled her eyes, but it makes sense now. When it's broke, they try to fix it. And because I can get unlimited plates myself without waiting on the server, I will now flock to the nearest OCB at every opportunity. Even go out of my way and make it a destination point.

Yep. Karma.




 






No comments: